AIGA Indy was founded and is led by volunteers.
Our board is made of passionate, driven, and self-motivated individuals who enjoy giving back to the design community. We strive to have a diverse group of board members with varying backgrounds to represent our membership base. Our mission is to connect and support our local creatives by providing engaging and educational programming, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and access to mentorship and resources—fostering an inclusive and dynamic design community in Indiana. And we need help to do that. We are looking for excited candidates who are ready and willing to push AIGA Indy to the next level.
Board opportunities are available!
We are currently looking for candidates to fill the following roles. Our terms run from January 1 thru December 31.
- Community Outreach
- Digital Communications
View Role Descriptions
Serving on the Board
Being a member of the AIGA Indy Board means being an ambassador for AIGA to members and non-members.
Joining our board is a one- to two-year commitment. You can also serve for longer than that (and many do). At the end of each year, board members can decide if they want to keep their current role or move to another open position. Specific responsibilities vary depending on the role, but all Board members are expected to:
- Be (or become) a member of AIGA in good standing at any level.
- Attend all required planning retreats and monthly board meetings
- Attend major events (bonus: board members get into all our events for free!)
- Be responsive on Slack and email (Slack is our main communications platform)
- Weekly time commitment varies across roles and throughout the year
- Terms start January 1
Who We’re Looking For
New AIGA Indy Board members are trained for their specific roles, and receive guidance throughout the year from more-tenured board members. So what we’re looking for is people with valuable soft skills — teamwork, communication, flexibility, patience, time management, and motivation.
Board members do not need to be designers but should have an interest in supporting the creative community. Past board members have been writers, educators, development or fundraising specialists, project managers, and business owners.
It’s important to our chapter that the AIGA Indy Board be diverse and represent the Indy design community. We aim to have a Board with diversity in industry, age, gender, professional experience, race, background, education, income, physical ability, and more. However, nominees are not required to offer this information.
Why Join The Board?
There are a number of benefits of joining the AIGA Indy Board.
- Helping to contribute to the Indy area design community
- Learning new skills like leadership, event planning, team collaboration, and public speaking
- Complimentary registration to AIGA Indy events and discounted national conferences and events
- Access to the local, regional, and national design network
- Shaping the current state and future of design
- Paying it forward to emerging and future creative practitioners
If you have any questions about the responsibilities of being a Board member, please send us an email.